Northfield has a tradition of providing free public access to the internet going back to 1997 when Northfield.org put a terminal in the Goodbye Blue Monday coffeehouse. Eight downtown locations have free w-fi, all within easy walking distance of our house.
- Bittersweet Eatery & Gathering Place – downtown
- Contented Cow – downtown
- Froggy Bottoms – downtown
- Goodbye Blue Monday – downtown
- James Gang Coffeehouse & Eatery
- James Gang HideAway – downtown
- Just Food Co-op – downtown
- Northfield Public Library – downtown
- Ole Store
- Rueb ‘N Stein – downtown
Northfield is well-served by high-speed, broadband internet service providers. DSL is available from several ISPs, including Earthlink, Lakes Internet, and DM Broadband. Charter Communications has the cable TV contract in town — we subscribe to its 7 mg service. And MidWest Wireless has its Clearwave high-speed wireless. And with the colleges having installed the fibre for their internet2 access last year, there are now discussions going on among the town’s leaders about how some of that excess capacity could be used (the fiber runs right through the middle of downtown) for FTTP / FTTH / FTTB.